Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?
There are many species of mushroom in the world around us.
While some are perfectly safe and sold in stores, others are potentially toxic when consumed.
Humans have to be cautious when eating new mushrooms, and our canine friends are no different.
So which mushrooms are safe for your dog?
In this article we will introduce you to the mushrooms that are safe for dogs to eat, and discuss the dangers of wild mushroom consumption as well.
Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?
Just like you and I, mushrooms that are sold in stores are safe for our dogs to eat.
Store-bought mushrooms have been cleared of any toxic potential, allowing our pups to enjoy this occasional vitamin filled vegetable.
Not all dogs will enjoy the unique taste that mushrooms have to offer, but it is perfectly safe to offer them a bite if they’re interested.
What Type Of Mushrooms Are Safe For Dogs?
As long as a mushroom is not toxic to you and I, it is perfectly safe for your dog to eat as well.
Store-bought mushrooms will not be dangerous for anyone to consume, so offering these veggies in small amounts is free of any danger.
While any mushroom picked up from your favorite grocery store will be safe, let’s list a few of the most common mushrooms that are acceptable for dogs to eat.
- White button
If you are ever unsure of whether or not a mushroom is safe for your dog, we always suggest asking your vet before you offer it.
This is especially true if you source mushrooms yourself.
Can Dogs Eat Cooked Mushrooms?
Dogs can eat cooked mushrooms as long as they are not cooked with oil or any seasonings.
Many mushrooms that go into our meals will be dressed up to fit a recipe, making them even tastier for our consumption.
This will certainly amplify the taste of the mushrooms, but it can lead to an upset stomach for our canine friends.
Cooking ingredients such as oil, salt, onions, garlic, and other similar items can lead to serious illness for our pups.
If the mushrooms are coated in any of the ingredients listed, we suggest keeping them away from your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Raw Mushrooms?
Raw mushrooms are typically best for any of the mushroom loving pups in your life.
This is the best way to ensure that they are free of any harmful seasonings, as well as any greasy oils that are used within your recipe.
This will also ensure a crispier chew that dogs seem to love!
Safe Servings Of Mushrooms For Dogs
When determining the amount of mushrooms you offer your dog, you should first assess their daily food intake.
Though mushrooms are a healthy snack, they are still considered a treat to your pup.
Treats should only make up 10% of your dog’s daily food intake, so the mushroom serving will need to fit into this rule.
As long as your dog’s approved veggie snacks do not make up more than 10% of their daily food intake, the serving amount should be safe.
Just be sure to monitor your pup for any sign of GI upset, as any diarrhea or vomiting can be evidence that your pup may have had too large of a serving.
Can Dogs Eat Wild Mushrooms?
Just as you and I should never eat any unknown wild mushrooms, our dogs should not have them either.
Toxic mushrooms can grow in many settings around the country, many of which can deeply impact a dog’s health.
Ranging from GI upset to neurological symptoms, toxic mushrooms can cause severe symptoms in our furry friends.
Unless you have vast knowledge on the types of mushrooms that grow in the wild around your home, you should never allow your dog to eat any unknown mushrooms.
If you think your dog consumed an unidentified mushroom on your outdoor adventure, we suggest reaching out to your vet for further guidance.
Signs Of Wild Mushroom Toxicity In Dogs
There are many different forms of mushrooms that grow in the world around us.
With such a large variety of fungi species, this can lead to an array of symptoms when our dogs experience mushroom toxicity.
Some of the most common signs of wild mushroom toxicity in dogs include:
- Bloody diarrhea
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle tremors
- Organ damage
If you think your dog ate an unknown mushroom, we suggest reaching out to your veterinarian immediately.
Fast action is essential in offering your dog the best chance at a full recovery.
What To Do If Your Dog Eats An Unknown Mushroom
If you think your dog has eaten a wild mushroom, it’s best to reach out to your veterinarian or the pet poison helpline immediately.
They can help to guide you in the best direction to prevent any complications, and determine whether or not your dog will require immediate medical care.
If there are other mushrooms around the one your dog ingested, we suggest capturing a photo of the fungi to help the experts identify the mushroom.
This can help your vet determine whether or not the mushroom is toxic, and what symptoms to expect if it is.
Fast action is essential when treating mushroom toxicities in dogs, so it’s important to seek help immediately if your pup ever consumes an unknown mushroom.
While store bought mushrooms can be a healthy snack for your pup, wild mushrooms can be potentially toxic.
As long as you practice safety when offering your pup mushrooms in the future, your canine companion can enjoy a nutritious low fat snack.
My name is Amber. I am a dedicated animal lover that turned my passion into my career. I am a Licensed Vet Tech with 10 years of experience in veterinary medicine, but I recently took my career online to help spread accurate information on animal care. With how vast the online world is, I have a strong desire to ensure that the reader always walks away with helpful pet advice. With the experience I’ve gained from my time in this field, I have been able to travel the world, offering my services to as many animal rescues as I can find. If I am not at my laptop, or back home visiting family, you can find me somewhere in the world, cuddling every furry friend that I can find! Read more about us here.